Product: Braun 740S-6 Review
Rating: 4.3/5 stars on Amazon
Cheapest Place to Buy: Amazon
Warranty: 2-year manufacturer warranty
If you are looking to save over $100 and still get most of the features as the almighty Series 7 799cc, the Braun 740s-6 might be a great razor for you. Would you really notice an extra $100+ worth of shaving benefit?
Maybe or maybe not.
This razor can still perform its job well despite having a few less bells and whistles as some of the more expensive models.
Description of Braun 740S-6 Wet & Dry Electric Foil Shaver
For around $150, the Series 7-740s-6 still gives you many of the great features you will love and want. Features like:
- Intelligent Sonic Technology – this unique technology allows the razor to detect how thick your beard is. It will then adjust the speed of the motor down for more sensitive areas or up for areas where you have thicker stubble.
- Activelift trimmer – this helps pull more hairs into the razor allowing you to get a better shave in less strokes.
- Wet or Dry Shaving – they have tested this shaver in up to 5 meters and it remains 100% waterproof. Not that you need to go free diving with it but you get the idea. Hop in the shower if you want don’t worry about cleaning up in the sink.
- Precision trimmer – a pop up trimmer is always nice as you don’t have to worry about packing an additional attachment when you travel. These are often advertised to maintain mustaches and sideburns but we also like them to shave down your stubble if you haven’t shaved in a few days. This helps the shaver do its job in less time.
- Flexible head – the head on this thing is awesome. Each individual blade is on its own suspension as well as the entire head can swivel itself. This means you will have more skin contact with each stroke and more hair cut with each stroke as well.
- 5 Shaving modes – as if the intelligent sonic technology wasn’t enough, you can adjust the power to 5 different settings to make sure you get the shave you need. The lowest setting is extra sensitive for those of you who deal with irritation problems all the way up to turbo to push through the thickest stubble.
Missing Features of the Braun 740S-6
Like we said, for over $100 less you get a pretty similar electric shaver with just a few missing features.
To start, the 740s-7 does not come with a Clean & Charge station. However, this is not a huge deal. In fact, some of you may even look for this because you may not like the lubrication the system uses or the cleaning solution the system uses.
It is an alcohol based cleaning solution so if you have sensitive skin that may irritate it a little. However, this does sterilize the shaver reducing any bacteria growth.
However, if you happen to have a Clean & Charge base this razor will work with, perhaps you may have broken a previous razor or something like that.
The other main noticeable difference is lower tech display. This is definitely not something you will miss. You know you will need to charge it when the battery runs out and you know you will need to replace the heads every 18 months or when they get dull.
Do you really need a light on the bottom of your shaver to tell you that?
Cons of Braun 740S-6 Wet & Dry Electric Foil Shaver
So, besides your usual comments about people receiving the rare defective product there was one common complaint.
The first was that the locking feature on the head did not work as advertised. Now, there were only a handful of these comments so maybe there were just a few unlucky customers.
However, this is still not a deal breaker as the flexibility is what you would want most of the time anyway.
Besides that, the other few complaints were people who switched from cartridge razors expecting to get the same closeness of a shave.
Even though this cuts down to .05mm, it will still never get as close as a safety razor, which can cut the hair under the skin (potentially causing more razor burn).
Another downfall is that you can only use this razor when it is not plugged in. This is obviously for safety since they don’t want some guy hopping in the shower with a plugged in razor, however, it could be a bummer if you forget to charge.
What Are People Saying About the Braun 740S-6?
The Braun Series 7 740 comes highly rated and has many happy customers.
For an electric razor this will give you a relatively smooth shave, some even say 90-95% as close as a blade. This is pretty good for an electric shaver.
Yet, this closeness may require a few passes which is typical for an electric razor. At least you won’t have to worry about nicks!
Using this razor with a shaving cream or gel will provide even more comfort and lubrication for your shave.
The motor adapts to your beard density so this is good if you have thicker areas or sensitive areas, if you haven’t shaved for a couple days you may want to use the pop up trimmer first to take most of the stubble off.
Should you buy?
Well that is up to you. If you like using electric shavers, you will get a lot of value for the price of this razor.
The Braun Series 7 740S-6 is not the cheapest or most expensive but it should serve you well for many years to come. Read the reviews for yourself.
This razor should work well for most guys as long as you have the right expectations and you definitely get a bit more performance than some lower cost models.