Do you have the guts to put one of these blades to your throat? Don’t worry using a straight razor is not as hard as it might look. With one of these straight razor kits for beginners, you will get everything you need to jump right in.
If you are tired of spending $4-5 per blade refill for your typical multi-blade cartridge razors, then keep reading to see if a straight razor could be right for you.
What To Look For?
We all understand at this point that straight razors’ are the epitome of wet shaving. These razors will grant you the closest shave since you can easily sharpen them anytime they become blunt using a honing stone or strop.
With safety razor heads continuously increasing their number of blades and complexity, lots of folks are reevaluating their entire shaving routine and switching to straight razors.
If it’s your first time using straight razors, then you are perhaps afraid of the change, or nervous about establishing your new shaving routine. Either way, don’t you worry! We have got you all covered in this post to help you choose the best kit for you.
Let’s start by what you should look for in in a kit.
Below is a list of things you ought to look for when you’re choosing your first straight razor.
- A ready to shave blade. This implies that the blade’s edge should already be proficiently sharpened and honed and you can use it straight out the box.
- Do not go to the extremes when it comes to the price. Recall, this is your first buy to help you figure out what will work best you.
- 5/8 of an inch blade. This will be the impeccable starting size for a beginner.
- A rounded edge. This might sound like a dealer’s choice, though compared to a French Edge blade or a Square Edge, this is the finest option for a beginner.
You perhaps already comprehend that a shave brush is a small brush made with a handle parallel to the bristles and used to apply shaving cream or shaving soap to the face amidst shavings.
Here is a comprehensive list of some things you ought to look for when choosing a shave brush as a beginner.
- Pick a shave brush with boar bristles. Naturally tapered boar bristles will take some time before they break in or start to bloom. Though, after a few uses, the tip ends will become much softer and less stiff resulting to a great lather.
- When it comes to the shape, a fan or bulb shaped top will be a fantastic start. I know flat tops seem interesting, but they are way too specialized for a beginner.
- Choose a reasonably dense knot. This kind of a knot will yield a good lather with soaps and creams.
- Choose a brush with a longer loft. Long lofts will always grant you a softer brush.
- Last but not least, choose a medium sized brush rather than a tiny brush, a travel size, or a monster brush.
Once you purchase a straight razor, you’ll almost immediately apprehend that you as well need to purchase a strop so it can assist you in polishing and straightening your blade.
A razor strop is typically a long and flexible strip used to polish and straighten straight razors. These flexible strips also come in distinct materials, such as Wood, Canvas, Denim Fabric, Leather, or any other soft material.
Below is a list of what you should look for when choosing the ideal straight razor strop.
- Since you are new to straight razors, choosing a cheap strop might the best choice. You can purchase a more expensive strop once your technique is improved.
- The other most crucial feature you need to watch out for is the width. Most beginners find 3-inch strops more comfy as they hone their techniques. The other well-known strop sizes are 2” or 2 ¼ “. Their narrow nature implies that there is more technique involved.
- As a beginner, if you desire to stay on the safe side, then a leather strop is the way to go. Even more, in case it’s your first time using a strop then start by buying a cheap one, and you can move on to the sophisticated ones the moment you hone your skills.
Wet shaving is undoubtedly best performed with some type of gel, soap, or cream to help soften those beards and assist them to stand up so you can execute a smooth and close shave.
Acommon issue faced by us men is razor bumps caused by the curling hair growing in the skin once we shave. If you’ve ever experienced such an issue, then it’s probably time that you invest in shaving creams/soaps.
Below are various useful tips to help you choose the best shaving cream for a beginner.
- Should be easy to load.
- Should make a thick and nice lather.
- Ought to be free from harmful chemicals.
- Ought to have a fragrance that suits your personal taste.
- Should not be so expensive. It’s your first shaving soap so you probably should not purchase the most expensive one.
How To Use The Straight Razor
Wet shaving with a straight razor is like indulging in luxury, though just like all the great things, it needs patience, preparation, and technique.
The key to a pain-free shave is to utilize plenty of hot or warm water before you start shaving. You can either take a shower, a bath, or utilize a hot funnel to help open up the pores of the skin and soften the bristles.
Ensure that you massage your shaving soap meticulously into your beard or stubble using a decent shaving brush or your fingers. For the shaving process to work in your favor, make sure that the lather does not dry.
Subsequently, hold your straight razor using your dominant hand. Your thumb ought to be on the underneath of the shank touching the shoulder. Your ring, middle and index fingers ought to be on top of the shank.
You can hold the handle in between your little and ring finger. Your little figure should rest on the hemispherically shaped tang. Other folks prefer placing their ring finger on the tang instead, and this is totally fine. It’s a matter of choice.
Using your other hand, stretch your skin as much as you can. You are recommended to hold your straight razor at a 30-degree angle or else you might get cut.
Using very little pressure, apply even strokes using the razor and only shave in the direction of your hair growth to steer clear of ingrown hairs.
Once you are done with your 1st shave, then you can rinse your beard, re-lather, and perform the shave once again. This time, however, you ought to shave against the direction/grain of hair growth.
Now rinse your shaved area using hot water and subsequently follow up using cool water to help close the open pores.
1. Dovo Half Hollow
If you are looking for an all-encompassing shaving kit for impeccable straight razor shaving then this product was made just for you.
The Dovo Best Quality kit brags durable scales and a forgiving blade, and it’s been the opted straight razor for most wet shaving beginners.
Since Dovo understands that preparation is just as imperative as the blade, they have included a luxurious shaving cream and the best badger shaving brush.
This amazing kit comprises the following items:
- A Proficiently honed Dovo best quality straight razor,
- A shaving brush,
- A shave cream,
- And a stand.
Let’s just say that this product comes with every single thing that you might need to relish a close straight razor shave.
It’s 5/8 of an inch wide ground blade makes it perfect for beginners.
Some of the pros and cons of the product.
- The straight razors quality is impressive.
- The blade is shave ready so that you can use it straight out of the box.
- It’s sandalwood shaving cream is smooth, rich, and will easily last throughout the shave.
- The products come in a beautiful packaging.
- The shipping period of the product is fast.
- Beginner friendly so all first-time shavers will be comfortable using the products.
- Genuine leather. The set comes with an amazing genuine leather strop.
- Badger brush looks pretty good.
- The blade might need honing after a couple of shavings.
- The strop is only 2 inches wide.
2. EZ Blade
This royal wet shaving kit happens to be one of the best kits for beginners anyone could have. If you purchase this product, then you’ll receive all the five shaving products from EZ BLADE.
Besides EZ BLADES straight razors, this company takes pride in crafting all their products. All their products are manufactured using high-quality ingredients.
This kit comes with an after shave tonic to help you heal your skin after a shave and an after-shave lotion to aid treat your face after the shave.
The products include in this men’s shaving kit include:
- An aesthetic straight razor with a wood handle.
- Shaving oil (2oz)
- Shaving cream (6oz)
- An after shave tonic (8oz)
- An after shave cream (6oz)
- Shaving gel (16oz)
Some of the pros and cons of the product.
- The after shave cream and spray are amazing.
- The straight razor can be utilized straight out the box.
- The company goes an extra mile to give you an after shave tonic to help heal your skin once you are done shaving.
- With the right technique, the razor will grant you the clean and close shave that you desire.
- The razor might need some honing after a few shaves.
3. Naked Armor
Here are some of the product’s features.
- Comes when already sharpened so you can use the razor straight out of the box.
- In case it’s your first attempt straight shaving, then the company can give you a beginners’ guide to stropping and straight shaving.
- You are granted a lifetime of free sharpening, and all you have to pay for is shipping.
- Some of the product’s pros and cons.
- The soap has a nice fragrance.
- It’s the perfect kit for a beginner.
- The razor comes already sharpened.
- The quality of the products is impressive.
- In some rare cases, people received blades that were not sharpened.
- Expensive for some people.
4. Shave Ready
The company guarantees’ that you can utilize this product straight out the box and in case you receive a blunt straight razor then they will return all your cash, no questions asked.
They inspect all their razors prior to sending them out so they can ensure that every client receives a sharp enough blade.
The blade likewise features a long lasting and stylish construction. If you use the blade, you can feel the distinction of genuine Japanese blade honed to excellence against your skin.
If you are a lady, then this kit for beginners is the impeccable gift for your husband, son, brother, and even your dad. Buy this complete kit for the men in your life and watch them feel irresistibly handsome.
Shave Ready contains every single thing you might need to enjoy a clean shave:
- A sharpening paste,
- A fantastic reusable wooden box,
- A badger friendly wooden brush,
- A stainless steel blade,
- A leather Travel case.
- A leather strop with Brass.
Some of the product’s pros and cons.
- This kit comes with everything that you will need to get started.
- The blade is already shaved and can be used straight out the box. In case this is not the case, then the company guarantees to refund all your money.
- The incorporated soap creates an amazing lather.
- The razor can also cut through any stubble.
- The quality of the products is fantastic.
- Beginner friendly.
- Some people have claimed that the blade they received was not ready-sharpened.
- Pretty costly for some people.
Regardless of whether you are an extreme, intermediate, or beginner wet shaver, this kit could be the perfect shaving set for you. The set comes packed with every single thing that you might need in one easy, and aesthetical package.
The set could also be an excellent gift for the people you care about. The shaving kit includes:
- A shaving brush
- A straight razor strop/strap + Dovo strop paste.
- High quality and carbon steel straight razor.
- A traveling bag leather strop.
Some of the product’s pros and cons
- The blade comes ready-sharpened and can be utilized straight out of the box.
- Easy to use and beginner friendly.
- You will have everything you need in one package.
- The razor is light enough to improve ease of use.
- If you are a lady, this could be an excellent gift to the men in your life.
- The blade is not sharp enough for long beards.
- The blade’s metal is not so durable.
6. Shave Network
Besides being made using real carbon steel, the product has been kiln hardened. Yeah, you’ve thought right, it’s been baptized in fire.
This ten piece shaving kit is the definitive holiday gift for your husband, dad or son. The razor is hand sharpened and honed in the United States to provide a superior edge.
The set includes everything you will need for your shaving sessions such as:
- A luxurious synthetic shaving brush.
- A classic Brush tube.
- A classic razor coffin.
- A free lifetime hone service.
- A smolder after shave oil (manufactured in the United States.)
- A smolder pre shave oil (also produced in the United States.)
Some of the Product’s pros and cons.
- The whole kit comes aesthetically packaged.
- The straight razor’s handle is decent and fits impeccably in hand.
- The razor comes ready sharpened so you can use it straight out the box.
- The after shave, pre shave, and shaving soap products’ smell awesome.
- In case you have a long beard then you might have to hone the blade a little more.
- Expensive compared to most shaving kits.
As you can see, there are several great options here if you are considering diving into wet shaving. With any one of these kits, you are sure to have everything you will need to get started.
Just be sure to do your homework and try to think about your own individual wants and needs to guide your decision. There are plenty of reviews so that you should be able to find some you can relate to.
If you are new, please take it slow in the beginning!